Patrick met a chieftain here called Dichu who gave him a barn for shelter. The word for barn in Irish was Sabhall, from which we get the anglicised word Saul. From here Patrick traveled extensively sharing the message of Christianity and we celebrate Saint Patrick's Day every year on the 17th March because he died at Saul on that day - possibly around the year 461.
Saul is a famous 'thin place' where heaven and earth are close together. For more than 300 years following Patrick’s death there was an abbey on this site until it was plundered and burnt by Vikings. In the 12th century Saul was refounded as an Augustinian Priory but it too was later plundered in the 14th century by Edward Bruce. One wall of this abbey remains along with an intact monastic cell in the old graveyard.
The present church building is a restoration on the site to commemorate the 1500th anniversary of the landing of St Patrick and was opened on All Saint’s Day 1933.
Today prayer and worship continues at Saul as it has done over the centuries.
Services are held in the Church every Sunday at 10.00 am and prayer is offered at different times throughout the week.
The high point each year is our celebration of St Patrick’s Day on 17th March when we welcome visitors of all Christian backgrounds to worship with us. Throughout the year we welcome visitors and pilgrims from around the world. Some are simply intrigued by the history and beauty of this locality, others are modern day pilgrims searching for peace and tranquility.