The only shrine to Saint Patrick in Ireland is located in Saint Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, Downpatrick.
The foundation stone to Saint Patrick’s was laid by Bishop Dorrian on the 17th March 1868 and the church was designed in a Gothic 14th Century French style.
In 1895 a soaring spire was added and in 1993 a new transept was built for the expanding congregation.
Part of the work included the creation of the Saint Patrick Shrine – a wonderful mosaic with panels showing the life of Ireland’s Patron Saint.
The Saint Patrick Centre,
Saint Patrick’s Square,
Market Street, Downpatrick,